Sunday 11 January 2009

Creativity

OK will start by explaining what I think creativity is.

Creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts. An alternative conception of creativeness is that it is simply the act of making something new. Scientifically, creativity is usually considered to have both originality and appropriateness.

Creativity can be as individual as a finger print; this is because creativity can be affected by several factors, these include, the thought process of the designer, the social environment, and there personality traits. It could even be affected by divine intervention.

When new consoles are created a lot of companies try to master the new technologies, creativeness goes straight out of the window while developers are trying to outdo each other technologically. This also results in remakes of older games. After companies have mastered the new technologies they then can use these to create more creative games. This is kind of like watching a movie that has been remade, for the sake of special effects, spectacular but shallow.

Certain games manifest creativity in different way, depending on the type of game. For example World War 2 based games mainly show creativity in the A.I. the graphics are helpful, but they are based on realism, so you can’t really call it creative. There A.I. used though help make the game more creative, oddly enough I think this is because of the realism. But not all shooting games are like this, one game in particular is XIII, this is a FPS (First Person Shooter) but the style of this game is different from others because it has a Comic Style. Personally I find this quite creative.

Fantasy games are my personal favourites. There are all said to be creative but just like I said about creativeness in games, most of them are all based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s work. Even for me I'm starting to get annoyed with all the repetitiveness, a lot of game designers just throw the same things into a very similar environment, and set you with very similar storylines, mainly ones where you are an unsuspecting pesent and it’s up to you to save the world from an ancient evil.

Creativity in game development is not a sole person’s responsibility, there are several factors that a good game requires, and most of them require a certain amount of creativity. These are mainly the people who come up with the game, and the concept artists.

As an up and coming artist, I'm still unsure of how I will show creativity in my work that will be acknowledged by others. After I have studied more about Art, and Game Design, I will have developed more skills, and then hopefully I will be able to be acknowledged as an Artist.

No comments: